10.8 C
Thursday, May 26, 2022

Thousands of households can get free cash to help with energy and food costs

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

THOUSANDS of hard-up households can get free cash to help with essential costs.

The government has extended its Household Support Fund and local councils are revealing how they can help. 

Households can get extra help with bills and food costs


Households can get extra help with bills and food costs

The scheme originally launched in October 2021 to help families with Covid costs and was due to end in March this year.

But Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced an extra £500million cash injection in his Spring Statement, extending the scheme until September.

The help on offer varies across the country, with each council setting its own eligibility criteria.

For example, Salford City Council are providing residents with thermal curtains to help heat their homes, and Torbay offers £50 for households struggling to afford food and bills.

5 ways to get emergency cash worth hundreds for energy bills and food
Free cash you can get on Universal Credit you DON’T have to pay back

If you’re not sure whether you meet the criteria for your area, speak to your local council directly.

Plymouth City Council has revealed it will give local organisations up to £10,000 to support vulnerable households.

Most of the cash, particularly for energy, will be given to Citizens Advice Plymouth, Age UK Plymouth, and Plymouth Energy Community.

Those organisations will then hand it out to households in need of extra support before the scheme ends in September.

Who is eligible for the support?

Plymouth Council said local organisations should aim to give grants to a wide range of low income families in need.

The groups being targeted include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Pensioners
  • Households with children entitled to free school meals 
  • Anyone suffering from food or fuel poverty 
  • Homeless residents
  • Recently unemployed people

For more information on the eligibility criteria, you can call the council’s phone line on 01752 668000. 

The deadline for organisations to apply for the funding is May 16, so there may be a wait before you can access the grants.

Model sparks storm as she walks down street in £500 Gaultier naked dress
I won £107m EuroMillions jackpot - I knew exactly what to spend it on

If you find you’re not eligible for the Household Support Fund but still need support, you can get in touch with an organisation who may be able to help:

  • National Debtline – 0808 808 4000
  • Step Change – 0800 138 1111
  • Citizens Advice – 0808 800 9060

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for UK Times Online Money team?

Read More

- Advertisement -
Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news
- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: