MASS shooter Jake Davison called himself “the devil” and told pals he was “going to hell” before he killed five people in a rampage.
The 22-year-old shot dead his mum Maxine Davison, 51, before picking innocent strangers off at random as he roamed the streets of Plymouth.
After he killed himself, his dark social media presence began to unravel – revealing Davison as a gun-obsessed “incel” – involuntary celibate.
Horrified neighbours have now told how the loner “freaked” them out and say they feared he would one day carry out such an attack.
One told The Sun: “He called himself the devil. He said his name was Satan.
“I thought he was just being weird and joking but clearly he was deadly serious.
“He didn’t say much more than that. We left him alone.
“When someone comes up and says they’re the devil it freaks you out. He also said he would end in hell.
“I’ll never forget it. It was chilling.
“He was the sort of person you thought would end up on the news for murdering someone.”
? Read our Plymouth shooting blog for the latest updates
The horror unfolded just after 6pm on Thursday when Davison stormed mum Maxine Davison’s home and shot the 51-year-old dead.
He then prowled the streets picking off innocent victims at random – including Sophie Martyn, three, and her adoptive dad Lee, 43.
Davison turned the gun on tragic dog walker Stephen Washington, 59, and murdered 66-year Kate Shepherd outside a hairdresser.
After also wounding two other people, the monster then turned the gun on himself and shot himself dead – bringing the six-minute rampage to an end.
Two young boys who helped get people to safety have now been commended for their bravery.
The lads urged people to get out the way of the killing spree after knocking on doors and telling them what was happening.
The actions were revealed today in a minute of silence held in the town to remember the victims and survivors of the attack.
It comes as the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) confirmed they are investigating Devon and Cornwall Police over Davison’s firearms licence.
The murderer was given his pump-action shotgun back by police last month after it was confiscated in December following an allegation of assault.
The government is now asking police to review their firearm application process and examine any existing licences that could be a red flag.
They are also planning to publish new guidance later this year asking police forces to check social media of potential gun owners in the wake of the attack.